Wednesday, May 02, 2007

EmmEssGee


If MSG is so bad for you, why doesn't everyone in Asia have a headache? | Food monthly | The Observer
The anti-additive movement (check out the excellent and informative www.truthinlabeling.org) admits that 'natural' and 'industrially produced' glutamate are chemically the same, and treated by the body similarly. So why doesn't anyone ever complain of a headache or hyperactivity after a four cheese and tomato pizza (where there's easily as much glutamate as in an MSG-enhanced chicken chow mein)?


I love MSG. I buy it in bags for my friend Neil when he runs out (mainly because I love carrying small bags of white powder around with me), I stuff myself with Chilli Oil until my innards are outards, and I'm so happy to learn it's probably safe. Even if it probably corrodes your nerve endings.

Powered by ScribeFire.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Because it's addictive and so you get resistant to it. When Katie moved to Hong Kong she started getting headaches and palpitations after she ate in restaurents, then it settled down....